FLSA status: Non-exempt
Shift: Available as required
Job Title: Forklift Operator
Loads, unloads, and moves materials within or near plant, yard, or work site by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Reads work order or follows oral instructions to ascertain materials or containers to be moved.
- Opens containers.
- Loads and unloads materials onto or from pallets, trays, racks, and shelves by hand.
- Loads materials into vehicles and installs strapping, bracing, or padding to prevent shifting or damage in transit.
- Conveys materials from storage or work sites to designated area.
- Secures lifting attachments to materials and conveys load to destination or signals crane or hoisting operators to move load to destination.
- Loads truck for Industrial Truck Operator.
- Stacks or assembles materials into bundles and bands bundles together.
- Lifts heavy objects by hand or with power hoist, and cleans work area, machines, and equipment to assist machine operators.
- Makes simple adjustments or repairs such as realigning belts or replacing rollers.
COMPETENCY: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies.
- Design - Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Customer Service - Responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
- Team Work - Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Written Communication - Able to read and interpret written information.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Works with integrity and ethically.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures.
- Adaptability - Manages competing demands.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions.
- Judgment - Supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions ; Uses equipment and materials properly
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
EDUCATIONAL & KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Pre-employment physical
- Pre-employment Drug screen
- GED/High School Diploma
- Drivers License
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts;fumes or airborne particles;outdoor weather conditions and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- Drug/Alcohol screen.
- Pre-placement physical.
- Pre-placement background check.
- Skills shown under “Educational and Knowledge Requirement"